Monday, June 22, 2009

Bachelor's Who Party

I encountered a friendship with Jonathan in the Whiteriver LDS Branch, of all places. Two single men in the barren desert of LDS social life. Together we braved the small-town YSA activities, even though the “Y” in YSA didn’t technically apply to me anymore. I looked young enough to pass for it, or at least that’s what I told myself. Jon’s outgoing personality and rapid-fire wit was enabling for me to be involved in the group, and it always led to hilarious repartee in reviewing the evening’s events on the long dark ride back to the rez.

There was “Rochelle, Rochelle” the double name being taken from an episode of Seinfeld; the androgynous couple at FHE who’s appearance didn’t quite fit their loyal view of the family proclamation; the nurse with “Edith Bunker” as a mother; the testimony meeting “weeper”; the family with Captain Von Trappe for a father; the female version of Gilbert Gottfried; a bumper sticker that warned “Frequent Stops” which from the size of the riders, we assumed meant stops at McDonalds.

If it hadn’t been for someone to keep on going to these things with, I more than likely wouldn’t have participated in a chorale production in the summer of 2000. Going to the singing practices was more entertaining than staying at home, and we could make fun of the lyrics on the way home—or during the practices for that manner. Two soloists blushed after singing “Neither the Man Without the Woman” when Jon shouted from the back, “you may kiss the bride.” Had we not met a Bernaleen, a YSA living in Whiteriver who carpooled with us to the Snowflake practices, we may not have stopped in the Show Low Walmart on June 21, 2000 at 11:30 PM so she could buy yarn and hair color. And we probably wouldn’t have been introduced to Bernie’s friend Steven Klefsky and his two sisters, Julia and Noreen.

That was the beginning of the end of my bachelorhood. I told him that I was thinking of calling Julia and asking her out and he encouraged me. “You should have seen her arm muscles while she was unloading bales of hay for the dance,” he said. He continually encouraged our friendship and did what he could to help it move forward. It did seem to take him by surprise when we got engaged in October. At that time, Jon was busy with coaching soccer and I was busy seeing Julia. “You’re pulling my chain”, he said, when we showed up at his soccer game and shared the news. He made the trip to Mesa to see us get sealed, and although we didn’t have bridesmaids or groomsmen, he was my ‘best man’ unofficially.

It wasn’t that long before Jon knew it was time to leave the mountains and go to the city. A number of the area’s YSA women were interested in him, but he was waiting. I didn’t know what he was waiting for, but it is apparent now. I was delighted when I was asked to be in Jon’s wedding party and impressed when I met his wonderful bride. I’ve enjoyed hearing about their newlywed years and travel adventures. He was up to his old tricks again when he “showed up” at our doorstep here in Oregon as a surprise. Julia has a video of the 2000 performance of “Come to the House of the Lord” and Jon is visible from time to time. He was dressed as a pioneer during the performance of “The Hearts of the Fathers are Turning,” which of the lyrics, of course, Jon and I modified to: “For the stomachs of the fathers are turning.”



Jonathan outside of the medical Center where Roger works ... on his hunt to track down Roger along the Oregon coast. Oct. 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment